Based on sound environmental research, CSR, Inc.’s restoration practices lead the environmental and native restoration industry. The establishment of native functioning ecosystems through design, installation, and stewardship is the primary focus of our company. Before any restoration design or installation can be completed, research and monitoring of the site and surrounding areas are performed, providing an accurate baseline of data.
Our Biology team uses a combination of GIS, GPS, and various testing methods to determine native & non-native vegetative cover, species counts, soil quality and depth, and habitat assessments. Through such data collection and comprehensive documentation, CSR, Inc. can select and apply specific native restoration seed, plants, and other materials for a successful site restoration.
Post-restoration activities are as important as pre-restoration. CSR, Inc. also performs post-restoration activities after seed and plant install that include vegetation monitoring, baseline comparisons and mapping, native seed collection, and habitat management plans. With our assistance, any restoration project can be approached and completed in an accurate and all-encompassing manner, achieving recommended percent cover and establishment of native vegetation.
- Qualitative measures: permanent photo points, site ecology, site contouring, seral stage, undesirable species occurrence, and erosion features.
- Quantitative measures: Basal cover, shrub and forb density, functional group & species composition, surface disturbance area.
- Biological baseline: Reference communities and ecological site conditions
- Pre-disturbance monitoring: This action informs seed mix and soil health conditions
- Maintain integrity of suitable soil, soil stability & facilitate establishment of vegetation
- Seedbed preparation: soil conditioners, fertilizers, soil microbial community enhancement
Control of Undesirable Species:
- Bareground, invasive species, and noxious weed treatment
- Interim restoration area: broadleaf herbicide applied conscientiously by a licensed applicator
- Final restoration area: pre-emergent herbicide is applied to maintain a weed free buffer zone around well infrastructure.
- Site specific Native plant materials
- Interim restoration site specific seed mixes
- Plug & Abandoned (P&A) restoration, select broadleaf application, seed mixes tailored for specific locations
Analysis: Ecological & vegetative, site conditions, spatial disturbance
Reporting: Well specific record of actions & site conditions
Future Monitoring: Targeted planning based previous actions and conditions
Restoration seeding with native plant species is vital to establishing stable plant communities, preventing or minimizing erosion, out-competing invasive noxious weeds, and providing the ecological system needed in disturbed locations.
Timing, equipment, application methods, application rates, and planting depths are factors to consider in developing a seeding plan.
CSR, Inc. offers site specific seed collection, custom seed mixing, Drill Seeding, Broadcast Seeding, and Hydroseeding.
Conservation Seeding & Restoration, Inc. is adept at servicing the restoration needs of such agencies as the BLM, Forest Services, DEQ, Fish & Game Dept.'s, Land Trust Offices, Parks & Recreation Dept.'s, Power companies, transportation departments, Ducks Unlimited (DU), and many more.
Desertification, the loss of topsoil to wind and water erosion, is a persistent concern in arid ecosystems. Managing erosion is a standard component of comprehensive restoration plans. This management takes the form of Storm Water Pollution Prevention (SWPPP) plans. SWPP plans encompass elements directly tied to soil preparation, seeding and erosion control. Effective strategies for controlling erosion include:
- Best Management Practices (BMP's), including silt fencing, straw waddles & erosion control fabric. Straw crimping traps and retains moisture, adds organic material to the soil and slows erosion.
- Planting cover crops, such as sterile annual triticales which can quickly add structural stability to the restoration project.
- Applying polymers and tackifiers retains soil and seeds as well adding to the soils ability to absorb moisture.
CSR, Inc. offers the professional package for Well Site Restoration: mapping, monitoring, soil testing, seeding & spray services. With native revegetation, thorough data collection, rapid response to issues, strict adherence to safety procedures, and comprehensive documentation, we can expedite well site recovery.